Years.

Years.

It happens every year, and it's one of those upcoming events that has to occur regardless of how much we wish that didn't happened. It's not that I'm opposed to it, it happens to everyone and sometimes it's a celebrations other times it's just another year that comes by. Birthdays, I never have grasped the point of them. Later this month I will tally up yet another year in my life; as thrill as you are for me I find it as a conundrum.

First things first "My Birthday" generally this is not true, somewhere out there in this grand spectrum of life somewhere in this world someone is also celebrating their birthday. I for example share birthdays with: Prince William and...well let's stop there shall we. Not only is the phrase "My Birthday" incorrect but if we really think about it, every second of every minute someone else is being born on that exact day and if we have morbid minds someone is dying on that day too. Now, I know what you are thinking, people are born and die all the time; yes this is true but think about it carefully. We celebrate our birthdays for what point exactly? Yes we were born, and yes it's another year we have to celebrate us being alive but what about the other celebrations going around us?

Which transitions to my next point, people always say that with age  comes knowledge and new experience. With this point I don't argue, but why do we have to grow older? This phenomenon I never quite understood, why is it that we have to mark  when we age, Why  place such a fuss to a day that marks such a simple thing..we grow older. See, this never made sense to me and it's not that I fear growing old I just don't see why we celebrate it. Yes, I know birthdays aren't only to celebrate our age but to the year we overcame in order to be rewarded with another one. Though, I find that a bit selfish because birthday shouldn't only celebrate the person who was born that day, but also the two people behind why were are celebrating this birth. Parents..without them this great festivity wouldn't have never  occurred. Why is it, that we don't also celebrate the parents and their contribution on this spectacle?

With years that follow, many of us will have many birthdays, which in itself is such an accomplishment. Yet, we need to make the best of each and every birthday that comes our way not just because it's our birthday but like a wise disney movie once taught me we have 364 unbirthdays that shouldn't go to waste. 

Comments

Popular Posts