Endeavors.
Endeavors.
When I was younger, I knew that I had a fascination with a career dealing with an office. I would gather random pieces of papers, pamphlets, anything I could grab my hands on and pretend I was an important executive in some sort of skyscraper office in downtown L.A. Not much has change in my endeavors. I'm currently pursuing to become a U.S Diplomat, yet on my journey I keep bumping into the occasional doubt about my choice. I love knowledge, don't get me wrong the thrill about learning something new is always riveting to me. I hate not knowing things, information is my own personal brand of drug. I'm addicted to the smell of fresh paper, and the feel of new books in my hands. Though something I'm not very fond of is our education system in the United States.
Throughout my entire academic career I have been constantly reminded that my ultimate goal was to attend college, get a degree, obtain a career and work hard. This has been my guideline for the past seventeen years of my life, and through my twelve years of FREE public education I had no problem with it. It's not until I enter my first year of PAID college experience that I notice how crappy our system of education is. Don't get me wrong I like my university, it has all the tools I need to succeed minus the actual philosophy. Let me explain, in my academic career, we have been trained to store the needed information that will be in exams. Materials that will help us ace a class, and once on a blue moon we have the small inkling of information that is actually helping us excel in different aspects of our lives. Now I know that in this society education is a currency without it, there is no hope for a future; so why is it that we invest more in foreign trade and commerce than our very own domestic needs like education?
We treat our students like banks, depositing information that can only be exchange in exams rather than other subject matters. Personally, it's frustrating to prove my intelligence via exams, G.P.A, and grades. I love political science hence my grades reflect that, but like some I'm not a fan of math, though just because I have an average grade doesn't mean I'm average in intelligence in that subject matter. It's mind blowing how paperwork define students nowadays, without a piece of paper proclaiming that said student spend four years (or more) in an institution ,where he/she invested and went into debt , is now suitable to enter the workforce. Riddle me this, why do we complain about how bad our economy is and how there are no jobs when it's a struggle to "receive" a quality education. I continue in my endeavors because I wish to do something productive in my life like many others, yet these mind boggling thoughts still make me doubt the education system I find myself in.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAre you sure that you don't want to be a librarian? Its a wonderful profession for those interested in continually learning.
ReplyDelete