Trends.

I was walking about my school's campus trying to come up with some ideas for my next post. When it finally hit me, I'm a very observant person. I enjoy looking around the environment around me.I enjoy noticing the differences of each and every day, I enjoy seeing the various students with their own schedule all buzzing around the campus. Yet, it occurred to me as I was sitting in class; even though we are all unique the way some students compose themselves is or was similar to the previous student who enter before them. At first I thought it was my over active mind playing tricks on me, but the more I walked through my campus those different students I though I saw, started to blur into one another. Oh here comes another lady, wearing high waisted shorts oh and the notorious floppy hat surely there..oh wait there goes another. Oh this gentlemen looks different, tank top and shorts not like..oh wait just like the gentlemen next to him. Now you might be saying, "analee who are you to judge these people's wardrobe choices." Your right, I'm no Joan Rivers but that's not the point I'm trying to make.  People unconsciously seem to want to dress like the many advertisements made by the popular department stores. Isn't ironic that in a world that now craves individuality people can't seem to help themselves to blend in. Millions of campaigns, celebrities preaching for youngsters to be them selves and yet we all seem to find ourselves being just like the people who are  on displayed in our daily life. I'm not saying that clothes define us, on the contrary many might rebuttal and state that clothes help us express ourselves. Which is a very good point, but what good is expressing ourselves with clothing if we aren't allowed to actually express ourselves with  the one thing that differs from anything you would see in ads or in shops..our mind. Why  is it that the latest trend of clothing is on everyone's wish list, but things like helping others or actually paying attention to current events is the last thing on it. The mind has been a trend that has slowly been disappearing from the scene. Sure those nerd glasses and suspenders look cute for an outfit, but it does nothing to enhance the future ahead of us. Technology is said to be created by the most brilliant minds out there; than why is it that instead of actually developing new technology or new plans to change the future. The trend now is to scroll down our instagram feed, or post a selfie displaying ourselves, food, or a scenic scene. Has the mind really gone that out fashion, instead of savoring the moment we are too busy choosing a filter. #Nofilter. Trends come and go but the one constant is the mind behind them. The mind is a powerful tool, it goes with  any outfit, makes us who we are, and allows us to express ourselves. 

Comments

  1. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this piece.
    The mindset of it was exactly how I picture things myself and It just moved me.
    "Isn't ironic that in a world that now craves individuality people can't seem to help themselves to blend in."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:
    1. Forget where I heard it but " He's an individual, just like everyone else."
    2. We are a lazy people and clothes are much easier to compose and change than an idea.
    That's why hard work is more important and will go farther than inborn talent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts