Skyline
Skyline.
As the train rolls into the station, the notorious Downtown Los Angeles skyline come into sight. The mere sight of it is a warm welcome back home. It's the smallest things that nowadays trigger fond memories in one's memory. To me the sights around me are wondrous, just the other day I went on a five a.m. jog around my university campus. I was running through the gardens and something caught my eye, there was a lamp illuminating some cherry blossoms that were growing on a tree. As I stop running to take in the sight I started to ponder, how many times in a day do small treats come into our view and we are far too busy or distracted coming and going to even pay attention to them. It sad really, here we complain that we never have time for anything or the day is going too fast when in reality it's us not taking the time to fully enjoy the simplest of things.
Now I know we all have a raging agenda, but we also have the responsibility to take a mere second of our day to really check in and take in the sights around us. To breath in the day (granted with the smog, and other unmentionables who can really say they breath in fresh air.) to observe and admire the tiniest of things that make the day such a spectacle. We have 356 days in a year, 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour and so on and so forth; we owe it to ourselves and nature to slow down and enjoy. Last time I blogged I mention how trends are the new thing, how many times have we pulled our cellphones out and start snapping picture to post on our social networks. Back to my cherry blossoms, as I stare at them I wished I could retain the memory of it forever. I could have, with a mere touch of a button but then I thought, memories are precious because we make them not because we save them in a cold electronic device .
Memories, the true masterpieces of art.I stood under that cherry blossom tree for more than just a minute. I closed my eyes and truly embraced the memory of me standing at precise moment at the exact time on that particular day. It's fascinating what the mind can store, honestly it's the greatest hard drive imaginable. Though like many technologies, sometimes it can fail you; memories are far too precious to be lost because the slow degenerating mind. Yet, I have come to realize that I would rather have my memories slowly slip through the cracks of my mind than actually reliving them. I came to this conclusion on the bases of reminding myself how prized those memories are. Memories are reminders of the good, the bad, and the mere mediocre times, and because they are just that..reminders. They shouldn't be experienced more than just once there wouldn't be any room for the new and upcoming ones that are yet to be experience and cherished.
I finally step off the train and arrive back home in Los Angeles, I reopen my eyes as I say goodbye to the memory of the cherry blossoms as I continue on my run . Memories are out there and ready to be forged into my mind, the question now is...what memory will I create next?
Mademoiselle, thou hath returned to the city of angels?
ReplyDeleteThe amusing thing is that I read this entire post thinking the third line had said, "trigger food memories" and wondering when you were going to get to the meals you had eaten. Then I reread it, and understood the post in a whole new way. :-)
ReplyDelete